See my images at Zazzle

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Curse No More


My last post talked about the great opportunity my daughter and I had to bond in a productive way when the power went out and we were forced to work on her homework by candlelight without any modern tools (computer, music, lights...).

Well, it happened again last night. However, this time it was by choice. Trying to decipher the meaning behind Greek mythology and answer critical thinking questions AND finding that neither one of us had the mental fortitude to quickly access our critical brains, we decided to turn off everything in sight and light candles.

I was impressed by my daughter's ability to access some profound thinking on the symbolism and metaphor behind the stories and the connection to human emotion and human nature. Mind you this is MY daughter who typically spends her time IMing with friends, watching Oprah and redecorating her room with teen magazine posters. Not a person dedicated to literary interpretation. Very cool!

As a result of this happy accident and follow on opportunity, I am in a blogging collaboration with a business colleague and friend of mine. Dave Crain (davecrainonline.com) posted a response entry to his blog in respones to my first entry. Give it a look:

http://www.davecrainonline.com/progress.html

In his post, Dave encourages us to make more effort in the realm, by consciously turning off, tuning out and dropping into a way of being that we have slowly given up. I know Dave. And I only hope to have his discipline and will to consciously do that. You will remember, I came upon this as a course of happy accidents and not by choice. So read Dave's post and if you can meet his challenge, let him know, and if you're more like me answer the question:

Is there some happy accident in your work or personal life that has shed light on a better way to live your life or improve some lot that you were able to consciously practice?


I welcome your thoughts and comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark,

Thanks for the link and starting the discussion on this great topic.

I'm not so sure I meant my comments to encourage discipline and will to change, so much as to make sure we notice and extend those "happy accidents" when they occur.

Either way - I think we are saying the same thing, and my sincere wish is we all find a way to learn a lesson out of this that we can integrate and put into practice.